Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Santo Contra la Invasion de los Marcianos (1967), Alfredo B. Cravenna.

Jeesh, why don't you take a picture, Professor?

Blurg!  Goddamnit, I couldn't figure out how to get the subtitles fired up and don't speak a lick of Spanish but decided to carry on... I have been told that black and white imagery is easier to shoot and to appreciate, because minus the distraction of colour you can focus on form, line, shape and pattern.  So, I thought maybe watching a black and white film I can't understand will really get me into the aesthetics! Santo Contra la Invasion de los Marcianos has a kind of cheap aesthetic but being made in 66 or 67 definitely has some gorgeous thin lines and funky touches.  I love the constant full screen shot of what people are watching on TV! 

So here's a stab:  in this one, martians land on earth and use their middle eyeball to make crowds of soccer fans disappear into thin air.  Santo periodically wrassles with the head martian (played, I believe, by El Nazi!) who paces the bridge of his tin can starship in dictatorial frustration wondering how to beat Mexico's all-time greatest wrestler. I like how Santo refuses to shave the pits and has a chunky ass in saggy leggings.  My cop uncle once counseled us never to take on a guy with a bigger ass than you.  Let this be a lesson, kids. 

Shirtless interstellar travelers?  Smells like Wrath of Khan in here!

No comments: