Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Jazz Singer (1927), Alan Crosland.

Oh, it gets worse.  WAY WORSE!

HILARIOUS. People will tell you this is boring and mainly just a landmark because it's one of the first films to use synchronized sound.  Wrong!  The sound segments pop out and grab you.  They move faster.  To my eyes the differences were stunning - I can only imagine the impact on its contemporary audiences.  

Gut reaction:  Al Jolson's eternal fame is a total fluke.  He doesn't have much screen presence, he talks through his "jazz songs" and he's no looker.  Like mama Rabinowitz, I don't get it.  The scene (pictured above) where he readies himself for his blackface act was oddly protracted as he methodically applied all that facepaint.  What really gave me the creeps was the little scrap of fabric he pulls over his hair to complete his look.  What the eff was that made out of? 

I think it's time for a 2011 reboot.

AAAAAAAAAA!

No comments: