Friday, August 19, 2011

The Whole Truth and Nothing But (1963), Hedda Hopper and James Brough.


On the recently divorced Dinah Shore:  "She is a forty-five-year-old woman with two children still in school.  The fact that good men don't grow on trees is something most women don't realize until it's too late."

On Sinatra's distaste for the word "clan" to describe the Rat Pack:  " 'I don't like the word "clan",' Frank once said.  'Did you ever look the word up in a dictionary?' I said.  'It means a family that sticks together, like the Kennedys you're so fond of.  They're the most clannish family in America.  I don't like Rat Pack, but there's nothing wrong with the name of Clan."

On Edward G Robinson's second wife Jane Robinson: "The current Mrs Edward G Robinson would like to be a hostess with the mostest, but she has not attained the status of his former wife, who entertained in great style."

On Harpo Marx: "Harpo, whom I adore, once told me he couldn't understand why he couldn't join a local country club.  'That's easy,' was my reply.  'You belong to a different club, where they don't take in Christians.  So in a way you're sort of even."

On Rosemary Clooney: "Next door is a house of sorrow - Rosemary Clooney and her five children live there with no husband or father to guide them."

On fashions of the 1950s: "The cause is glamour, for which I've been fighting a losing battle for years.  Our town was built on it, but there's scarcely a trace left now.  Morning, noon and night the girls parade in babushkas; dirty, sloppy sweaters; and skin-tight pants.  They may be an incitement to rape, but not to marriage."

On Jackie Kennedy:  "When I look at Jackie Kennedy these days, I think: 'If those fellows [Hollywood designers of the 30s] were around today, what they couldn't have done for her!'  She'd be queen of fashion the world over.  Oleg Cassini can't hold a candle to any of them."

On Louis B Meyer.  "The biggest impact I made [as an actress] was on a pudgy little fellow who used to lurk around the set.  When the picture was finished he sidled up to me.  I mistook his intentions. 'I don't want to buy any fur coats,' said I.  'You don't understand,' said he.  'My name's Louis Mayer.  I'm the producer."

No comments: