Saturday, July 18, 2009

Quel Pomeriggio Maledetto / The Perfect Killer / The Satanic Mechanic (1977), Mario Siciliano.

A fifteen-year hunt for this, which - YAHOO! - has resulted in getting my hands on a crummy bootleg copy with Spanish subtitles probably sounds like mental illness but low-budget Italian crime flicks have a special place in my heart. Two years ago I thought I finally had this film, but The Lee Van Cleef Collection issued by St-Clair Visions that claimed to include it turned out to be only some kind of cruel fake-out. Damn you once again, St-Clair Visions!

There's a few things I love about this genre. There's the strange pace: quick edits to fast action alongside dawdling pauses as little interludes of nothing are filmed. The music is fantastic. And completely bizarre scenes (let's talk about the bird collector in Quel Pomeriggio). The credits claim Richard Widmark is a co-star of Lee Van Cleef - oh wait, that's ROBERT Widmark (!) ... Although these flicks get brutalized by most critics, I think the dialogue and action scenes are just fine, better than most multi-million dollar movies. Personally, I think Van Cleef had it figured: hang out, make movies along the Costa Brava... doesn't sound so bad if you ask me.

No comments: