Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Little Giant (1933), Roy Del Ruth.



$45 a night?  Well, I'll show them $45 a night...  Bugsy uses the hotel towels to shine his shoes to get his money's worth out of his expensive suite.

Just clever as hell send-up of Edward G Robinson's gangster persona.  With Prohibition over, beer runner Bugsy Ahern decides to cash in, sell the machine guns to "some guys in Mexico," pay off his moll, take off to sunny California and retire.  In his attempt to shake off the "stench of the gutter," Ahern takes up with the horsey set (complete with horsey accents) and purchases anything and everything that may raise his social standing.  Great dialogue, with a few eyebrow-raising lines muttered under the breath, such as:  "How did you get to know that monkey speak?"  "Well, I used to own 10% of a French dame."  I have to say, I just about fell off my chair in disbelief when I heard the word "FAGS" spat out in one scene. Must have been before Joe Breen came to town.

Odd remark, but unusual to see Edward G Robinson in so many casual clothes, although I wanted to undo that top button on every polo shirt (the man looked like he was suffocating).  Mary Astor gets to wear some darn lovely lightweight knits.  Quite a fun romp - who doesn't want to imagine themselves on a spending spree in idyllic California in the 30s!  I'll take it! 


The boys from Chicago try their luck at polo.

No comments: