Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fear in the Night (1947), Maxwell Shane















Strange little postwar flick and first screen appearance of DeForest Kelley who appears almost as uncomfortable here as he did when asked many years later to kiss that Natira woman. Although his brother-in-law appears to be something like 20 years older than he is (possible, I suppose) I enjoyed the unrolling of the mystery as discussed between these two. This is essentially the entire movie, as the only other characters, two women, are not much more than props shuffled from one location to another (a waste of cutie Kay Scott). Likely pounded out pretty quickly by Cornell Woolrich, who wrote a number suspense stories for popular magazines. Not bad - I wasn't sure what was going on until the conclusion, though I suppose we shouldn't be handing out accolades for my own dimness.

No comments: